Summer Learning Series – Part 2 – Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco
Today we’re continuing our Summer Learning Series, lessons I previously taught, based on The Heartwood Ethics Curriculum.
One of our trademark Boone weather patterns is a good ole summer rain storm. When these usually arrive after a “hot” day (hot being a relative term for our area), I am reminded of a book that I loved to read to my first grade students when I was teaching classroom guidance as a school counselor. I will never forget a particular first grade class where I brought the book, Thunder Cake. In this story a little girl is afraid of the approaching storm and the accompanying thunder. Her babushka (Russian for grandmother) helps her overcome her fear by taking a fun journey to collect ingredients for making “thunder cake.”
- Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco
- Recipe (also found in the back of the book), ingredients and supplies needed to make the cake.
Character Trait: Courage
- Read the story together and discuss the following questions (or any other questions you may think of):
- What is the meaning of courage?
- How did the little girl show courage in the story?
- How did the girl’s babushka help her face her fear of storms?
- What are some of your fears and how can we work together to help you work through those?
- Have you or your child ever helped someone find courage in a fearful situation?
- Share with your child how someone helped you overcome a fear.
- Collect all ingredients for the thunder cake and make the cake together. Enjoy!
I recall one particular class where a little girl asked for a copy of the recipe and went home and made the cake with her mother. She brought a piece to me the next day! I’ll never forget that sweet gift and how great it must have been for her to do something fun with her mom, based on a story from school.
My husband recently rode his bike in the Blood, Sweat and Gears event in Valle Crucis, NC and we hosted a “carb load” dinner at our home for some of his pals that were riding, as well. I took the opportunity to make Thunder Cake and it was particularly a huge hit with my husband. Who knows, maybe it was because of the special ingredient? What’s that, you ask? Well, you’ll just have to read the story to find out!